It is a sentinel that keeps watch over Jaipur city from a height of 700 feet. Nahargarh Fort perched on a hill was constructed by Sawai Jai Singh in 1734. It was given its present form in 1868 by Sawai Ram Singh. It has crenalleted walls running along the ridge. It is popularly known as Sudarshan Garh because from here one can watch the scene of sunrise and sunset in its full glory. The glimpse of Sun god is the most magnificent at these hours. It is no more a neglected place today. The newly built palace attracts everybody and along with it the yellow Rajprasad appears like a golden crown and adds beauty to the city of Jaipur. For long it was used for summer excursions and picnics by the royal family.
Nine palaces called Suraj Prakash, Khushhal Prakash, Jawahar Prakash, Lalit Prakash, Lakshmi Prakash, Anand Prakash, Chandra Prakash, Ratna Prakash, Basant Prakash stand in the complex of the main palace surrounded by beautiful gardens. These palaces are enriched with Indian Architecture, and fine colour scheme. Paintings on the walls add to the classical beauty of these palaces. During the rainy season it becomes a major picnic spot and attracts a large crowd of visitors. Many Indian and foreign films are shot here throughout the year. To reach the Fort, pedestrians take the Nahargarh Road in Chandpole Bazar. The Rajasthan Tourism Development Corporation runs a Fort cafetaria which provides catering services to the visitors from 10.00 a.m. to 10.00 p.m.